I’ve been sharing on my Periscope videos this week, how excited I am about my recent War Room place. After watching the movie with friends late last week, my heart yearned for a little section of our shared closet that could be my battlefield of prayer. I wanted a safe place to come and be real with God on a daily basis. A place I could stand, sit and even lean into God’s arms of grace, compassion, mercy and power. I wanted a place my kids could come and connect with God in a new, ongoing way. I wanted this War Room because I needed God.
Don’t wait until you need God to spend time with Him.
Don’t fight the battle yourself that you can’t win on your own.
Don’t underestimate the power of prayer.
I spent time on Saturday cleaning out my section of my closet – you know, making room for God among things that have crept into His spot in my heart. My closet was stuffed with clothes, games, Easter baskets and frankly way too many shoes. I needed to purge. My 5 year-old loved assisting with my Goodwill bag project as we added several clothing items to be donated. Soon, I had enough space for my War Room – a corner of our shared closet became my resting place of prayer.
I started the week with a Bible, pen, notebook and a sketch pad neatly stacked on a shelf. I placed a blank bulletin board which I wanted to have covered in verses and prayer requests…someday. Today, just 4 days later, my board is completely filled with handwritten prayers for myself, my husband and each one of my kids. In the center are two prayers written to God by my older children. On the sides are prayers from friends that I have prayed with this week. I’ve also handwritten verses that have really spoken to me about the importance of this prayer battle. Life as I know it has changed for the better in our house. Now, to keep it going!
My time in the War Room has:
- Allowed me to just be still and really rest in the hands of my Abba.
- Provided me with a safe place to find His love.
- Forced me to write out prayers and spend intentional, focused time with God.
- Made me rearrange my day to spend time in prayer for our family and others.
- Created a new tradition for my kids and their prayer time.
- Allowed me to get out of the way so God can really work.
I could keep going, but I feel like you get the point. We have a small house where space can be very tight, especially in closets. But we need a dedicated prayer space in our home. I’m excited to be on this new journey!
So, how do you create a War Room? Here are a few simple ideas.
Create Your War Room
- Designate a place you can meet with God in private. “When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. (Matthew 6:5-6)
- Decide its use. Will you include your spouse and your kids in this time? Do you have a place to hang prayers? Is your space big enough for others to join you? “You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8“You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9“You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.…” (Deuteronomy 6:7-9)
- Start with God’s Word. Find verses that speak to you about your War Room and place them on your wall. “With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments.11Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. 12Blessed are You, O LORD; Teach me Your statutes.… (Psalms 119:10-12)
- Use it! Add time to your calendar, add reminders and be intentional about your consistent use of this new place you have created to meet with God. Don’t let it go unused! 2He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.… (Psalms 23:2-4)
If you are a wife looking to connect with other women on this War Room journey, I’d love to invite you to join the War Room Wives private Facebook group! Just connect with me through my Facebook page and let me know that you would like to be added!
I’d love to know, have you seen the movie “The War Room”? How has it impacted you? Share in the comments below!
Grab Your FREE Survivor To Thriver Ebook And START Moving Forward Today!
Leave me a comment below, tweet me or connect with me on Periscope! If you have subscribed to my blog and read this message in your email, simply hit reply to start messaging with me right away! I love hearing from you!
I’m now on Periscope
! To see my recent videos, click here
to download the free app today! I would love to connect with you!
Would you like to receive personal email updates from me and grab a FREE Survivor To Thriver ebook? My special newsletter features coaching availability and discounts, upcoming speaking opportunities and updates regarding my book release! To join, simply sign-up here! The best part is, it allows you to have a personal one-on-one connection with me through email. Feel free to reply to any of the newsletters you receive! You will always get a response from my end!
Sharing this post today with friends at: